In 2006 Stirling Court Hotel was proud to announce a £6 million extension bringing SCH’s operating capacity up to 30 conference rooms, 100 bedrooms, restaurant and dining to 300 guests. As part of our two year planning process we consulted at length with our regular disabled clients, commissioning reports from regular business delegates and accommodation guests, all of whom had varying accessability challenges and disabilities.
This process greatly informed our planning process and generated a number of lengthy discussions specifically around public amenities throughout the centre. It was a highly valuable exercise and informs our approach to disabled guests until this present day.
• Telephone number: 01786 451666
• email: email@example.com
• web: www.stirlingcourthotel.stir.ac.uk
• Fax number: 01786 449940
Arrival & Car Parking facilities
• Carparking for 200 vehicles with eight disabled spaces.
• The main entrance to the main building is fully accessible
and all our team are trained on best practice in relation to the Disability
a. Hotel Reception for accommodation and functions
b. Sports Centre Reception
• Car parks are well lit and have good clear signage to the appropriate areas.
Main Entrance & Reception
• pathway to registration is accessable through electronic doors.
• reception desk is equipped with a hearing loop and staff are trained in
dealing with guests who have disabilities.
• Seating is available in reception.
• All reception is open to customers with no glass panels.
• Hotel Reception desk has a lower counter
• All services are on the ground floor of the hotel.
• Adapted toilets are located on the ground and first floors.
• Floors are either wooden or carpet.
• doors are held open on fire magnets that self close on activation of the
Public Areas – Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors etc
• signage has anti glare covers and is set at a height that is easy to read. Emergency wheel chair evacuation signs are also displayed.
• There is a lift with automatic doors, voice information and voice upgrades are planned in
the near future
• All corridors are well lit and have edges highlighted where there may be a trip
• All the corridors are a minimum of 1.5 meters wide throughout the site with
Public Areas – Lounge Areas
• Abbeycraig restaurant and Dalwhinnie bar are located on the ground floor.
• Windows on the Wallace conservatory is located at the rear of the hotel overlooking the grounds, accessable through the foyer area.
• Floors are either wooden or carpet
• hearing loops are available in all conference rooms
• all 30 conference rooms have 32 inch opening
• equipment in all rooms is set at a height that is easy to read
5 accessible rooms enjoy the same amenities as our classic rooms, plus have the additional features:
• all guest rooms have 32 inch wide opening, are located on the ground floor and have extra space for wheelchairs.
• bedrooms feature; lowered switches, handrails, pull-cord alarms, closed caption decoder, vibrating fire alarm pillows, audio and visual emergency warning device.
• bathrooms feature; roll-in shower, grab bars alongside shower, shower seat.
The pool is designed to meet the needs of customers of all abilities. It features level entry access for participants and spectators, purpose designed toilets and showers, a deck level pool and hoist with four access points. In 2005 the International Paralympics Association and International Association of Sports and Leisure Facilities presented an award for the design and accessibility of the pool.
Access to the Sports Centre is level with all facilities on the ground floor. The Michael P Jackson Fitness Suite can be accessed either by stairs or lift. The suite contains equipment designed for use by disabled people.
Changing rooms, toilets and showering facilities have been adapted and all playing and circulation areas are well illuminated. The Tennis Centre also has level access, with adapted changing and toilet facilities. The design features for disabled people received an award and consequently tennis has become a popular activity.
There is designated parking provided in front of the swimming pool and by the rear entrance to the Sports Centre.